[lbo-talk] Re: Cuba petition

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 20:08:25 PDT 2003

Brad, will you look, just look, at the figures for basic human welfare in Cuba -- literacy, life expectancy, educational availsbility, whatever you like -- in Cuba? There is not a country in Latin America that come close the last time I looked. Nearest was Costa Rica, but CR had far more inequality ands far less opportunity. Cuba is unacceptably repressive, and I do not apologize for that. Nor do I think the welfare accomplishments of the Cuban revolution -- and yes, it was a real revolution -- excuse its human rights deficiencies. (Though, as I noted, there is a real question about what alternatives exist for Cuba that you have not bothered to answer, other than silently suggesting that it would be good were Cuba to accede to a US makeover a la success stories like El Salvador, Guatelama, and Nicaragua.) But it is obscene to put Cuba in the same category as Baathist Iraq or Syria or (a far lesser order of horror) Milo's Serbia. If you can see nothing but the boot and the dungeon in Cuba, it must be because you've just washed your brain and you can't do a thing with it. My opinion of Berkeley drops daily. Hourly. jks

Bradford DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:>Luke Weiger wrote:

> [...]

In what sense is Castro's, or Saddam's, or Aideed's, or Milosevic's, or Coard's government "revolutionary"? By the time *that's* your definition of human progress, the abyss has looked you over quite thoroughly...