[lbo-talk] Local labor victory 2 years in the making

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Mon Apr 14 08:50:23 PDT 2003

Two years after local (Dallas) ACORN offices fired workers simply for discussing unionization, the Nat'l Labor Relations Board has ruled decisively in the workers' favor, and against management. The workers had discussed joining the IWW and the SEIU in front of an ACORN manager. After they were fired, the workers joined the IWW.

The workers filed ULP charges, and ACORN management chose to drag it out in the courts. The process took 2 years. Finally, the managers have lost their war of attrition. Now the local ACORN office must hang the following notice in "visible areas."

Brian

--

The National Labor Relations Board has found that we violated Federal labor law and has ordered us to post and obey this notice.

Federal law gives you the right to

Form, join, or assist any union Choose representatives to bargain with us on your behalf Act together with other employees for your benefit and protection Choose not to engage in any of these protected activities.

We will not imply to that selecting a union to represent you would be futile.

We will not threaten you with discharge if you try to organize a union.

We will not interrogate you about your union activities or your reasons for supporting a union.

We will not inform you that employees have been discharged because of their union activities.

We will not layoff or discharge employees because they support the union or try to organize a union.

We will not in any like or related manner interfere with, restrain, or coerce you in the exercise of rights guaranteed you by Section 7 of the Act.

We will, within 14 days from the date of the Board’s Order, offer Gigi Nevils, Sarah Stephens, and Erin Howley full reinstatement to their former jobs or, if those jobs no longer exist, to substantially equivalent positions, without prejudice to their seniority or any other rights or privileges previously enjoyed.

We will make Gigi Nevils, Sarah Stephens, and Erin Howley whole for any loss of earnings and other benefits resulting from their discharge, less any net interim earnings, plus interest.

We will, within 14 days from the date of the Board’s Order, remove from our files any reference to the unlawful layoffs of Gigi Nevils, Sarah Stephens, and Erin Howley,

And we will, within 3 daysthereafter, notify them in writing that this has been done and that the layoffs will not be used against them in any way.

Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)