[lbo-talk] Cuba petition

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 14 12:44:45 PDT 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Here's my bottom line-- I think the ANSWER-style left helped murder Iraqis
>in the last couple of months by making the moral argument of the antiwar
>forces look implausible, so those looking to a moral solution could be
>convinced by the Bushies. And I think those who stay silent in the face of
>the repression of the Cuban people are helping to assist an invasion of
>Cuba-- which is partly what the letter itself said about Castro himself.
>Only a left that clearly identifies with democracy in Cuba will have the
>credibility to propose and advocate for a non-violent route to that goal.
>
>So those signing that letter are the ones who will be able to fight a Cuba
>invasion if it comes to it-- not the folks being silent as gross human
>rights violations and executions happen there.

You present yourself as a realist, against all the goofy idealists of the peace movement and all those benighted souls who don't understand the machinery of Congress. But this is the most cloud-borne analysis I've read in weeks.

And you still haven't offered an answer to the question of how to defend a progressive regime against the U.S. So I'm concluding you just don't have one.

Doug