[lbo-talk] Cuba petition

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Apr 14 14:12:51 PDT 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:
>So those signing that letter are the ones who will be able to fight a Cuba
>invasion if it comes to it-- not the folks being silent as gross human
>rights violations and executions happen there.

-You present yourself as a realist, against all the goofy idealists of -the peace movement and all those benighted souls who don't understand -the machinery of Congress. But this is the most cloud-borne analysis -I've read in weeks.

I'm actually criticizing parts of the peace movement for being too "realist" in making opportunistic rather than moral arguments. We don't have guns in this fight, so the only way we stop Bush is by making the moral appeals to the public that will create such political resistance that the Bush types will judge that the political costs of invasion will outstrip their gains.

I know you think organizing and outreach are boring, but I think that moral outreach to the public is exactly how we need to work to defend the Cuban people and others from US invasion. But defending the Cuban people is not the same as defending the Castro regime.

-- Nathan Newman