[lbo-talk] Cuba petition

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Apr 14 15:29:02 PDT 2003

I am off the human rights bandwagon.

In a world where international institutions had some legitimacy, where decisions were based on some kind of consensus and in accordance with well-wrought international law, human rights would be a legitimate topic anywhere.

The world we are in is bereft of effective international institutions and devoid of effective international law. The U.S. Gov does anything it likes, says black is white with impunity, flaunts the law without hesitation, and the structure of public debate here precludes fair and rational consideration of public policy. The Bushies lie like their lives depend on it. About everything.

The only occasion for pointing to human rights problems is when it affronts U.S. interests. Politics is a mud fight now. Nathan's subtleties don't have a chance.

Giving any sort of support to the anti-Castro initiative is especially dangerous. I think it would be miraculous if we got through two Bush terms without a Cuba invasion. The Bushies are like newly-hatched killers. After the first one, it gets easier.

I think this is the only defensible liberal position.

mbs