[lbo-talk] "it's a free country"

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Apr 14 17:12:44 PDT 2003

[hey folks - I helped put this event together, and will be introducing it. We've got very fine talent lined up, and I'd love to see all the NYC LBO people there. -- Liza]

Wednesday, April 16 7:30 pm  122 West 27th Street, New York, NY  BOOK PARTY/FORUM

It's a Free Country

 Personal Freedom in America After September 11

Danny Goldberg, Donna Lieberman, Michael Ratner & Others TBA

Please join us for a panel discussion of the war at home - the Bush Administration's horrifying war on civil liberties - and what we can do about it. Panelists include: Danny Goldberg, Chairman of Artemis Records, Board-member of the New York Civil Liberties Union, President of the ACLU Foundation of Southern California; Donna Lieberman, Executive Director, New York Civil Liberties Union; -Michael Ratner, human rights lawyer, Center for Constitutional Rights

It's a Free Country is a groundbreaking collection of new pieces examining the effects of President George W. Bush and Attorney General John Ashcroft's legislative assault on civil liberties following the terrorist bombing of the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. Foreword by Cornel West, author of Race Matters, with original essays by Michael Moore (Stupid White Men, Downsize This!), Congresswoman Maxine Waters, Steve Earle, Tom Hayden (former California senator, author of Irish on the Inside), Congressman Jerrold Nadler, Robert Scheer (LA Times columnist), Ira Glasser (former head of the ACLU), cartoonist Matt Groening, historian Howard Zinn, Lillian Nakano, Congressman Bob Barr, Michael Isikoff, Anthony Romero, Norman Siegel, Kenneth Roth, Nadine Strossen, Michael Tomasky, Helen Zia, Congressman Dennis Kucinich, interviews with Nat Hentoff and Congressman Barney Frank, and many more. The book also includes, firsthand stories from Middle Eastern and American victims of civil-liberty infringement, such as the chief of police in Portland, Oregon who resisted federal pressure, and Fathi Mustafa, a Palestinian caught in the wave of racial profiling.