[lbo-talk] Cuba petition

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Mon Apr 14 18:07:28 PDT 2003

On 15/4/2003 5:00 AM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

> Here's my bottom line-- I think the ANSWER-style left helped murder Iraqis
> in the last couple of months by making the moral argument of the antiwar
> forces look implausible, so those looking to a moral solution could be
> convinced by the Bushies. And I think those who stay silent in the face of
> the repression of the Cuban people are helping to assist an invasion of
> Cuba-- which is partly what the letter itself said about Castro himself.
> Only a left that clearly identifies with democracy in Cuba will have the
> credibility to propose and advocate for a non-violent route to that goal.

Here is a neat upside down world. The ANSWER style left helped murder people by having opinions that you don't like. Meanwhile, your party actually helped murdered close to a million Iraqis, but that doesn't seem to have affected your right to make such pronouncements.

I don't mean to be rude, but from my perspective this is a serious puzzle, something I can't quite understand except by forming a bad opinion of your ethics, which I am reticent to do.

Thiago