[lbo-talk] RE: how's it feel?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 13:17:17 PDT 2003

Well, we survived McCarthyism. Is this worse?

Doug

* * *

In some ways. The scope of the attack and the ambitions of the US are much broader. Hell, even the Smith Act defendants got to be arrested, charged, brought before a court with a defense lawyer (from the Guild), and without anyone overhearing their conversations, to be convicted of a specific crime and sentenced to a definite, limited term in prison. On the other hand, people were scareder than they are now, which is good -- I mean that people have higher expectations and are harder to scare. But some of it may be shock. Who would have imagined that these police state tactics could have gone so far? jks