[lbo-talk] Cuba petition

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Apr 15 13:20:34 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: <loupaulsen at attbi.com>
>But in any case, the crime of the recently convicted US agents was not mere
>speech. It was commerce. Isn't it still the law in the US that you are
>obliged to register as an agent for a foreign government if you are
receiving
>money from them, as a lobbyist, paid publicist, etc.?
>But it was not merely commerce with just anyone. It was not commerce with
the
>government of Mexico or France. It was not commerce with a previous
>administration. It was commerce with the Bush administration, which is
evil;

Which is how they are going after all the folks with financial connections to Hamas and anyone labelled a terrorist. And it's wrong with them and it's wrong in Cuba. And I condemn both as violations of human rights.

All this apologia for Castro is exactly what's wrong. I can at least buy the "it's not the right time" arguments but this kind of apologetics sounds exactly like Ashcroft. Authoritarians of the Right and authoritarians of the left united as enemies of freedom.

I just don't see much difference.

-- Nathan Newman