[lbo-talk] how's it feel?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Apr 16 05:06:58 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> The Times of London has asked me to do a piece on what it feels like
> to be a peacenik (the editor's word, Carrol) in America today.

I think one point that has to be made is that most peaceniks aren't just peaceniks. If they were, then there'd be no hope -- it's already been war. But the greatness of the demonstrations in the streets was that they were about making huge changes, not just about peace. Imperial war is just the most visible and outrageous symbol of a whole raft of things that people are deeply upset about. It just helped them to combust.

Michael