[lbo-talk] Cuba petition

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 16 10:19:18 PDT 2003

Chip Berlet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Both the SWP and the CPUSA were very active in the antiwar (Vietnam)
> movement. Both were the major organizing forces behind two major
> "coalitions."
>
> NPAC/SWP National Peace Action Coalition
> PCPJ/CPUSA People's Coalition for Peaqce and Justice
>
> They sometimes co-sponsored national marches in DC.
>
> There was--how to say this--some tension.

The tension still exists -- even among people who were never in or near either party and who haven't even heard of these two coalitions. To put it negatively in respect to both: The NPAC could never get beyond just massing huge groups of people in one spot a couple times a year. The PCPJ produced laundry lists of good things. I was of the laundry-list variety (though of course I would have denied the charge), and I still am essentially.

Carrol