[lbo-talk] How's It Feel

maria.gilmore maria.gilmore at netzero.net
Wed Apr 16 14:12:10 PDT 2003

The post-modern hi-tech battlefield introduced by the first GW goes beyond the call of duty by orders of magnitude we have only begun to appreciate. Its lethality is a poisoned gift that keeps on giving, full of toxicities like the delight that is depleted uranium... it's a shell casing that will rip thru steel like it's paper when solid, it's a potent carcinogen when vaporized...it's two weapons of death in one! How could the Pentagon resist? Statistically Gulf War Syndrome seems to be quite real, but of course the gov/ military can't come out and admit they poisoned their own troops, that's another thing the American public won't stand for any more. So the govt just stonewalls and gets away with ignoring the obvious --- and they get away with it because when the troops do come home that's when all the yellow-ribbon-tying dies out and nobody much gives a rat's ass about them; there's no huge groundswell of "support the troops" when they return to us from their dirty work broken, sick in body and soul. This culture is only interested in hearing about those who really believe they were "conquering heroes" in places like Iraq. What will it produce? For one thing, sooner or later, we'll have living in OUR society ex-Marines who, if some press coverage is to be believed, took real unabashed pleasure in sending automatic fire into crowds of defenseless unarmed people of all ages; who cut shopkeepers to pieces with machine gun fire because they were armed with Russian rifles to protect themselves from looters and because the looters told them they were Saddam's men, they blew them away with no questions asked.

- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 9:01 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How's It Feel