[lbo-talk] How's It Feel

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Apr 16 16:44:52 PDT 2003

a msg from maria.gilmore at netzero.net on 4/16/03 2:12 PM included ...

>So the govt just stonewalls and gets away with ignoring the obvious --- and
>they get away with it because when the troops do come home that's when all
>the yellow-ribbon-tying dies out and nobody much gives a rat's ass about
>them; there's no huge groundswell of "support the troops" when they return
>to us from their dirty work broken, sick in body and soul. This culture is
>only interested in hearing about those who really believe they were

That's why I've taken every opportunity available to encourage people to communicate with their reps to initiate action to increase exponentially the guarantees of health care for all returning vets - and their families as well. The families have been noteworthy in the news for the hardships that the seperations have incurred.

The well-documented shortcomings of the gov following GW1 in terms of providing care for vets combined witht the 'support the troops' mindset prevailing could be used to petition for full health care for a significant segment of the US population. If it happens great - and if it doesn't it could be a significant issue for the opposition to focus on.