[lbo-talk] a shred of hope

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Apr 17 12:59:19 PDT 2003

Yes-- constitutionally once tax cuts are blocked, there is a mandate to balance the budget. You can argue quite reasonably that the cuts should be happening in public school education or the police budgets or whatever, but once the tax hikes are blocked, the total dollar amounts of cuts are mandated.

You were arguing that they were choosing to do this in preference to tax hikes, which was false.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marta Russell" <ap888 at lafn.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 2:30 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] a shred of hope

>Marta-- that is a completely false and disingenuous description of what's
>going on. The Democrats (including even Davis who doesn't go as far as
>Burton) have proposed billions in tax hikes. But under the Gann limits,
>they need a two-thirds vote to pass any tax bill and the Republicans have
>more than the third of votes needed to veto any tax bill.

CA UCP Capitol Report #35-2003