[lbo-talk] Polls about "Iraq" and "Terrorism" Re: how's it feel?

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 13:16:39 PDT 2003

I do not disagree with you altogether...but mortality and fear of death will be there with or without capitalism (they were there during the economic models preceeding capitalism) and I think that is what motivates people to seek refuge in the things capitalism best provides.

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

"W. Kiernan" wrote:

> (Of course not one in
> twenty ever bothered, then or now, to think about how we ordinary
> citizens come to "know" these things, how tenuous that "knowledge"
> actually is.)

I hope more than 1 in 20 -- but my whole view of politics is, in a way, grounded in that recognition, and on the principle that, in the abstract, the "individual" has a perfect right to that tenuousness. I'm really amazed that so many people who hate capitalism can't see the damage that ordinary everyday life under capitalism does to people. And hcnce that intelligent anti-capitalist political theory must be grounded in accepting that fact and devising strategies and tactics to counter it.

Carrol