[lbo-talk] Rummy: "I don't think we'll discover anything, myself"

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Apr 17 14:56:23 PDT 2003

We are just going through the motions looking for WMDs. We won't find any. We won't find any until the guy who knows where they are comes and tells us.

That may be a while because he might be afraid that Saddam will come back.

Or he might be dead.

We may have to wait for a long time.

Well, we're patient. And we'll believe anything.

- - - - - -

Rumsfeld: Bioweapons May Be Hard to Find 5 minutes ago

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military's search for chemical and biological weapons is unlikely to succeed until Iraqis lead American forces to them, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Thursday.

"I don't think we'll discover anything, myself," Rumsfeld said at a town hall- style meeting with Pentagon employees.

"I think what will happen is we'll discover people who will tell us where to go find it. It is not like a treasure hunt where you just run around looking everywhere, hoping you find something."

U.S. troops have found suspicious chemicals and facilities at a number of sites but tests on the materials have proved negative or inconclusive. Eliminating such weapons was a chief reason President Bush gave for the U.S.- led invasion of Iraq that began March 20.

A Defense Department employee asked Rumsfeld what could be done so the United States would not be accused of planting any chemical or biological weapons that might be discovered. Rumsfeld said he believed such charges are likely and there is little the United States can do to avoid it.

Only in the past few days, Rumsfeld said, have enough weapons searchers arrived in parts of Iraq where U.S. intelligence indicates chemical or biological weapons could be found.

"The teams have been trained in chain of control, really like a crime scene," he said. "That will not stop certain countries and certain types of people from claiming, inaccurately, that it was planted."

[...]