[lbo-talk] manipulation?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 17 16:01:56 PDT 2003

New York Post [Page Six] - April 17, 2003

Moore boo-hoos over tape

PORCINE provocateur Michael Moore is using sophisticated wave-form analysis technology to argue that CNN amplified the booing in its re-broadcast of his George Bush-bashing Oscar speech. According to a posting on Moore's Web site, "CNN and CNN Headline News aired a significantly different audio response to Moore's speech than was originally broadcast on ABC. It seems that someone has manipulated the audio to give the impression there was constant loud 'booing' throughout Moore's speech, when in reality, there was only marginal booing often overridden with cheers and applause. This needs to be fully investigated . . . [H]ere we have a clear and shocking example of unethical behavior through manipulation of an historic event." Moore has posted a digitized version of the ABC and CNN footage along with MP3s of the audio, as well as a wave form analysis of both clips. A CNN rep snorts, "It's ridiculous. That's our response."