[lbo-talk] Know your enemy

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Thu Apr 17 17:08:17 PDT 2003

At 06:45 PM 4/17/03 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Chuck's French source is interesting. But (accepting provisionally its
>description of the Bush Administration) I pose again my earlier
>question: Why is the U.S. ruling class, seemingly, going along with all
>this? Do the Press Lords and TV owners represent a distinct branch of
>the ruling class? If they don't, then the ruling class, as a whole, is
>going along.
>
>Carrol

why have they ever gone along with it? if war isn't hurting the ruling class and if it's making it possible for them to keep someone in power who they approve of, then why not? is it a deal--the way the christian right was, supposedly, cut a deal to put up and shut up and get your payback for loyalty later?

dunno. i know everyone pointed to the tut tutting of certain factions of the elite prior to the war as some sort of evidence that they don't think it's in their interest. My reaction to that is: so? So, they like Shrub et al to have blood dripping from their hands. So, they like Shrub to play cowboy (which they secretly ridicule), while they get to play the civilized, reasonable ones. (I observe this behavior among some conservatives on a political list i sub to. Some attack the rightnuts, to make themselves appear more reasonable. well, hell, same thing happens on this list--same dynamic, anyway.)

anyhoo, if there is some reason (more than editorials and murmurings) why the elite aren't going along with shrub, i missed that discussion in the lead up to war. can i get class notes from anyone?

kelley