[lbo-talk] Fisk wrong on arsonists?

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Apr 17 23:55:51 PDT 2003

>From: Michael Pollak (mpollak at panix.com)
>Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 16:31:13 EDT
>[lbo-talk] Fisk on torturers and looters

In an incandescent moral piece Fisk tears apart the veil of legitimacy over the invasion, including on the issue of torture where it appears to stand most in the right.

But I think his analysis is wrong about the fire-setting. (see extract below)

He assumes, like the hegemons, that a society that used physical brutality including torture, to ensure social norms must be deeply unpopular. He assumes that "Saddam's former supporters" would only do something for money.

In fact the strategy of the regime was to melt away into the population. This is what the soldiers, the fedayeen, and the Baath members have done. Very few have been handed in yet, perhaps partly out of fear, but also out of patriotism. Also because the Iraqi state was actually of the order of 40,000 people and not just 4,000 people. Those 40,000 are tied by connections of marriage, deference and mutual help in all sorts of subtle ways.

Fisk gives evidence with his own eyes that there is organisation behind these arson attempts. It is consistent with a scorched earth strategy of the retreating forces, except that the earth that is scorched is the structure of a large city. It assumes a degree of chaos. in which the blame will fall in many ways rightly on the invaders. In this chaos snipers and occasional suicide bombers (just one a fortnight?) can pick off the invading troops if they guard isolated buildings. Meanwhile mass opposition and resentment can grow.

Ironically the Shia opposition forces may be the main beneficiaries, but they will also have had innumerable ties and compromises with the Saddam Hussein state. They will want to settle affairs themselves.

They will know what is happening better than Fisk, but they will not rush to form a colonial administration to guard all the buildings. It is easier to criticise the Americans,.

Fisk has not got a sense of the place of baathism in Iraqi society, and of the religious communities as centres of both resistance and compromise with the regime. A lack of a dialectical understanding of the society and the current situation, which his moral denunciations strive to cut through.

I think Fisk has got it wrong on the arsonists

Chris Burford London