[lbo-talk] Rich different

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Fri Apr 18 06:46:55 PDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:31:52 EDT, BrownBingb at aol.com wrote:
> From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>

>> From: "R" <rhisiart at earthlink.net>
>

>> ... as F Scott Fitzgerald put it, paraphrase, the rich are different from
>> you and me....
>
> You bet. Fitzgerald put it more pointedly in the Great Gatsby: "They were
> careless people, Tom and Daisy -- they smashed up things and creatures and
> then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever
> it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they
> had made."
>
> Carl
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> CB: And the version I've heard is that Fitzgerald says that, and Hemingway
> replies " Yes, they have more money ".

not to listen to them tell it.

probably none of you heard the npr report on a poll on taxes and income, this morning, since it's the lib'ral boozhwah establishment outlet, but it was most enlightening. apparently, someone making $300k annually running his own business is "middle class" (that's because he "might as well not work" because the government takes half his income). not only that, a family of five with an investment banker's income (it was either a million or ten million, i can't remember) putting them in the top 0.2% of income is apparently "not rich". asking the stay-at-home wife/mother in this family what she would consider rich, she pauses a loooong pause, and says, "i don't know; $50 million? $60 million?"

the whole report was appalling in many ways, imo, but also instructive -- if nothing else, of the lib'rul boozhwah establishment nature of npr. ;-)