[lbo-talk] progress!

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Fri Apr 18 08:13:24 PDT 2003

Two quotes from Rudolf Rocker are, I think, germane to the comments by Glasser and Lieberman:

"Political rights do not originate in parliaments; they are rather forced upon them from without. And even their enactment into law has for a long time been no guarantee of their security. They do not exist because they have been legally set down on a piece of paper, but only when they have become the ingrown habit of a people, and when any attempt to impair them will meet with the violent resistance of the populace."

&

"All the political rights and liberties which people enjoy today, they do not owe to the good-will of their governments, but to their own strength.... Great mass movements and whole revolutions have been necessary to wrest these liberties from the ruling classes, who would never have consented to them voluntarily. What is important is not that have government have decided to concede these rights, but why they had to do so."

Brian