[lbo-talk] Anti-Cuba petition

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Apr 18 13:49:34 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: BrownBingb at aol.com To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

>CB: Nathan is a sort of contradictory mixture of bourgeois and
>left liberal. In this petition thing, it his bourgeois side coming to
>the for. Actually, two-facedness/political split personality is a
>defining characteristic of liberals.

As I argue on the tax and budget cuts issue in California, I again argue in the case of the Cuba petition, namely that you mistake a disagreement on strategy for some ideological failing.

As I've stated, if the Left continues to remain silent on repression in Cuba, we do not help prevent an invasion. In fact, we make it easier since we help create the appearance that the choice is between a left strategy that has no human rights goals versus a Bush militarism that could potentially support greater bourgois freedoms on the Island.

That's a lousy choice to present to the public debate.

Those signing this petition argue for a third strategy and policy position for the public to adopt-- namely opposition to Castro's human rights violations and solidarity with those protesting his policies, while arguing that the best solution is to end the embargo and increase engagement with the people of Cuba.

You can disagree with the strategy, but since I think those who advocate silence right now are essentially assisting Bush in any invasion plan, this is not a question of different goals but of different evaluations and strategies of how to stop such an invasion.

-- Nathan newman