[lbo-talk] Warmongering

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 19 10:04:02 PDT 2003

I dunno about Katrina vanden Heuvel's "warmongering," but the current issue of the Nation features an article in which she makes the extradordinarily inane remark taht the USSR tried to impose its social system on the world by armed force. Is she'd restrictedthe comment to the ex-Bloc nations and Afphanistan, she'd have a point, but my former classmate (Tigertown '81), politics major and spouse of Soviet/Russian scholar Stephen F. Cohen has apparently bought into the Richard Pipes/Zbig Brz view of Soviet Totalitatarianism as Inherently Expansionist, thus going several steps to the right of Henry Kissinger on that one. Sigh. One more reason I may switch my sub from The Nation to, what did you say, Lou, Harpers?

jks