[lbo-talk] neocon economists

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Sun Apr 20 00:01:22 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marta Russell" <ap888 at lafn.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 9:34 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] neocon economists

> So we've covered the neocon politicos and philosophers, who are the
> economists in tow?
> marta

Some of their flacks hang out here:

http://www.aei.org/

http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/

http://www.heritage.org/

Many neocons have a soft spot for Schumpeter, Friedman, James Buchanan, Thomas Sowell, George Gilder [not really and economist] and Mancur Olson. All of these economists, following James Madison and his experience of watching the Virginia legislature, abhorred what came to be known as rent seeking behavior [Schumpeter may have been the most tolerant/understanding of the lot]; but it seems the Republican Party has gone dialectical on a free market nono and turned it into a full time strategy for channeling taxpayer dollars to their districts and the corps. that send them the checks. It's downright mercantilist in a way, which is why I think there's something to be said for Frederic Lane's and Charles Tilly's approach to protection rents/rackets. Alexander Hamilton would probably feel enthralled and repulsed...............

Ian