[lbo-talk] 'Jon Stewart's Perfect Pitch'

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Apr 20 13:53:33 PDT 2003

> [I've always found Jon Stewart about as iconoclastic and mordant as Johnny
> Carson . . .]

> Carl

I don't think that's true. Carson's political humor occasionally hit hard, but was for the most part safe and reassuring (though I always liked Pat McCormick, Carson's best writer in my view, who wasn't at all political but fantastically absurd). Stewart has had writers from The Onion on staff, and I've seen jokes and bits that deal with shit like ZOG, corporate feudalism and the like, shit that Leno, Letterman and Conan avoid. I've noticed that Maher, now on HBO, has gone in for harder jokes, some of which are scathingly funny. But last week, Maher, who opposed the war, looked like he wanted to be in favor of it, and his booking Ann Coulter and Dennis Miller this week adds to this impression.

DP