[lbo-talk] neocon economists

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 15:37:04 PDT 2003

I don't think game theory is especially tied to the neocons. Its heyday was the high cold war, and its acolytes were technocrats and kooks and liberals. The neocons are not especially attracted to economics, and (as I think it was Max who said) few if any economists are neocons. But I note that Pentagpn worship and right wing domestic agendas go hand in hand. Lots of people who have gummint burocrats don'ts ee the generals as gummint burocrats. jks

Ted Winslow <egwinslow at rogers.com> wrote: Michael Perelman wrote:

> Mirowski's new book shows how some cold war social democrats came
> within
> the ambit of RAND and the Pentagon.
>
> The neocons seem to revel in state power, not the shrivelled state that
> Friedman and the conservatives want.

It's "game theory" that's tied to the neo-cons isn't it? Herman Kahn via Andrew Marshall.

> How The RMA Defense Plan Is Taking Congress, the Military, And Our
> Citizens Out Of The Picture
>
> Many have been having fun calling Bush's Sec. of Defense Donald
> Rumsfeld "Dr. Strangelove," both for the weird faces he makes during
> his photo ops as well as his weird policy throwbacks to the Cold War.
> Imagine our surprise last week, when we learned from Nicholas Lemann
> in his New Yorker story about Bush and his RMA defense plan, that one
> of the thinkers behind Bush's plan, Herman Kahn, was actually the
> model for Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove character in Kubrick's
> film prediction of world-wide nuclear destruction. The connection
> between Kahn, the original Dr. Strangelove, and Bush is that a
> colleague of Kahn's at the Rand think tank in the 50's was Andrew
> Marshall (now, age 79), Bush's speechwriter on matters of military
> defense and the head of the Pentagon's Office of Net Assessment.
> Indeed, the very conservative and very paranoid Marshall is really the
> man Bush is using to conduct a broad review of the military, not
> Rumsfeld. Indeed, Rumsfeld and his lieutenants, Paul Wolfowitz,
> Richard Armitage, and James Roche, are all protegees of Andrew
> Marshall, and it's Marshall's crackpot cold war scenario that is the
> Bush playbook for our nation's new military strategy. In short, be
> afraid, be very afraid. How in the world has this happened? To get a
> fuller story, you'll have to read Lemann's piece and an overview of
> the available documents. In the meantime, here are a few observations
> to suggest why this subject demands your further attention.
http://www.bushwatch.com/needtoknow.htm

Do they have some connection to Heidegger?

Ted