[lbo-talk] Gulag query

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 20 23:16:52 PDT 2003

>I do remember being struck that *both* of Gorbachev's grandparents were
>arrested during the 1930s (although both survived): his paternal
>grandfather
>for failing to meet production targets, and his maternal grandfather for
>being a right-wing Trotskyist. Stalin was much harder on Communists than on
>peasants and workers, and the closer you got to Stalin, the lower your
>chances of surviving became...
>
>Brad DeLong

The recently deceased grandfather of a friend was a Red Army officer in WWII (he was in his 90s -- remembered seeing both the tsar and Lenin!). After the war they shipped him to the Gulag for two years; he then became a chauffeur for the Kremlin. They were the perfect employees because they would never, ever screw up.

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail