[lbo-talk] Re:domestic violence

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 21 09:53:37 PDT 2003

>>BTW did the Communists in Romania adopt the same hard line against
>>domestic
>>abuse as they did in the USSR? (I'm guessing the answer is "no.")
>
>Hah! No.
>
>Joanna

In the USSR, a woman (usually a woman) could complain to the CPSU apparatus at her husband's place of work oe his labor union leadership, and they would discipline him. If it continued, they would wreck his career. If he kept doing it, they would send him off to a re-education camp.

On the other hand, for CPSU members (about 1% of the population) hetting a divorce for whatever reason was the kiss of death career-wise, so I would guess a lot of dirt went on that was covered up. Made for some very loveless marriages, esp. since people got married so young.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail