[lbo-talk] The Latest Theory Is That Theory Doesn't Matter

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 22 06:25:15 PDT 2003

In this context, "theory" means theory of interpretation, and the question is whether theory can constain the interpretation of a text. The various isms which emerge from this all have either implicitly or explicitly claimed that the correct construal of texts can be emanicipatory. But if theory can't constrain interpretation, then theory can't emancipate.

There was a huge hullabaloo about this in the pages of _Critical Inquiry_ a couple decades ago, beginning with an essay, "Against Theory," by two men whose names I don't remember. My copies of CI are upstairs and I don't feel energetic enough just now to go up and get the issue to find the names and give the exact date. When I first read the issue I was unaware of the whole controversy, and tried to construe the arguments using "theory" as Chuck says he uses it. The issue didn't make sense until I figured out that the quarrel was only about how to construe a text.

Carrol