[lbo-talk] Re:Theory

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Tue Apr 22 09:49:03 PDT 2003

>Chuck wrote

>In my world, theory is just another word for philosophy and there is
>basically never enough of examining the conditions of life and times
>and arriving at knowledge, making judgments and taking action.

Of course not, which is why it is not something that needs to be carried out in a temple of learning....any more than spirituality is something that has to happen in a church.

>These guys have just forgotten the other half of their job description
>which is teaching students how to do that for themselves.

That's not part of the job description and never was. The point WAS to describe the world NOT to change it. Only the market can change anything. Silly bear.

>I guess I am a little disappointed that these panelists can not see
>that the entire world (or at least the progressive activists wings)
>are engaged in intense policy fights and discourses on virtually
>every topic they ever wrote about. What was abandoned?

What was abandoned was the guaranteed cushy jobs in exchange for ideological support. The ruling class no longer thinks they need ideological support. They don't need the UN; they don't need international agreements; they certainly don't need theory-drooling eggheads. All they need is to control your television set. And they do.

Joanna