[lbo-talk] onion does hitchens

westrich at miser.umass.edu westrich at miser.umass.edu
Tue Apr 22 14:25:56 PDT 2003

This is precisely why I never read the Onion. While undoubtedly if I bothered to read it more often I would think some of it funny (alas life is too short and humor is more economically delivered in different sources), but the little I read of it is not particularly funny and worst of all gets the details wrong.

Besides the way-too-obvious and not particularly funny references to "double- wides" and "riding lawn mowers" (hyuck! yuck! yuck!) this parody is about Hitchens AS-A-LEFTIST and is making fun of him for being a leftist. Very little is specific or shows knowledge of Hitchens work (I will grant a bit of credit for linking his pro-war stance with popular pro-war fervor but even that was not very sharp or clear).

The only thing funny about that is they don't appear to know much about Hitchens. Now lazy satirists getting street cred while serving ye olde tropes about irrelevant alleged leftists. That's funny.

I think getting the details right is what satire is all about. The closer you can come to the source material and still manage to turn it on its head the better.

Jim

". . . all this talk is like stamping coins. They pile up.

while the real work is done outside

by someone digging in the ground."

--Rumi (Molana Jalal-e-Din Mohammad Molavi Rumi)