[lbo-talk] onion does hitchens

npchilds at connect.ab.ca npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Tue Apr 22 15:10:52 PDT 2003

Although IMHO the inadvertently funny is often funnier than the deliberate, ie. Hitchens, because the source is usually so damned serious. For example one of the funniest (albeit blackly funny) political bios is Alexander 'I'm in charge here' Haig, 'Caveat', primarily because he is simultaneously pompous and wilfully ignorant to politics.

PC

> I think getting the details right is what satire is all about. The closer
>you
> can come to the source material and still manage to turn it on its head
the
> better.
>
> Jim

>Material in the Onion is usually better than the Hitchens piece.

-- Luke