[lbo-talk] Counterpunch on the Leo Casey Letter

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Apr 22 15:31:56 PDT 2003

What a ridiculous column, but about what I'd expect from Counterpunch at this point.

It makes this idiot-left statement basically declaring all us letter-signers social fascists looking only to strengthen US imperialism through better methods.

> Those more familiar with LASSAB might explain that LASSAB
>rarely criticizes US allies or the US government, unless its actions might
>be construed as 'counterproductive' to broader goals of US power.

Folks can argue with the strategic timing of the letter or its likely effect (a reasonable debate), but when someone tosses Katha Pollit, Mel Dubofsky, Stanley Aronowitz and the range of folks who signed into that kind of social imperialist category, they are essentially beneath contempt as far as worth arguing with.

-- Nathan Newman