[lbo-talk] Hitch & Horowitz

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 22 15:56:05 PDT 2003

[Did this get reported here?]

<http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/03/29/books-wiener.php>

The biggest name to quit the Left and sign up with the Bush war project received a warm welcome in Beverly Hills last weekend, when Christopher Hitchens told David Horowitz's Wednesday Morning Club, "If you live long enough, you will find David Horowitz."

[...]

In his responses, Hitchens mostly ignored the questions and went for the laughs. The biggest came when he ridiculed Berkeley, where he has been teaching, as "the world capital of absurd-istan." Hitchens decided to milk the laughs: "I tell them about Saddam's torture and fascism and genocide against the Kurds-they don't care. So then I tell them that in 1991, Saddam set fire to the Kuwaiti oil fields and filled the Gulf with burning oil. I tell them we need to get Saddam to protect the sea otters and birds in the Gulf-now I've got them on the run!" The audience went wild, and Hitchens didn't try to conceal a self-satisfied grin.