[lbo-talk] Small schools

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 22 17:46:27 PDT 2003

Gregory Geboski wrote:

> Favor small schools on a case-by-case basis? Sure, why not, especially when teachers and parents express great enthusiasm (*the* big factor for short-term localized success) . . .

Is this a version of what used to be called (perhaps still is) the "Hawthorn effect"? About 50 years ago there was an article in (I think) _College English_ that argued that _all_ formal experiments with "new" ideas in teaching freshman comp worked -- for a semester or two, until the thrill of being involved in a formal experiment wore off for both teachers & students.

Carrol