[lbo-talk] Re: The Latest Theory Is That Theory Doesn't Matter

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Apr 22 22:08:14 PDT 2003

>On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
>> Aren't they just saying, well, given the onslaught of Mordor, our theories
>> aren't that useful?

DRR:
>Sure, but the next coil of the Elvish dialectic/Bourdieusian inquiry is,
>why does a text written in 1947 by Tolkien, a politically reactionary but
>philologically gifted scion of Brit academia, give us a profounder insight
>into the essence of the US oiligarchy (and, maybe, into the resistance
>against such) than an expensive lit-conference for the tenured and deaned?

One might well ask. Actually, I don't think it does, mostly, except in this one aspect: correctly identifying your enemies and proceeding to fight them. But then, a lot flows from that, doesn't it?

Maybe they're finally out of material after years of rendering more profound fabulous one-liners from the 60s movements while assuring us of their moral and intellectual superiority by dissing same all the way to the credit union.

(And that's just women's studies.)

>I mean, they could've spent $20 to give Fred Jameson a ticket to see
>"The Two Towers" and spent the rest on a grad student travel fund or
>something.

The article was worth every penny. Let Jameson scrounge around in his change jar if he wants to see the movie.

Jenny Brown