[lbo-talk] dollar/euro redux

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 23 07:05:08 PDT 2003

> [from hypothesis for explaining recent behavior to
> injunctive-performative to change behavior....]
>
> The bottom dollar
>
> There is only one way to check American power and that is to
> support the euro

That was probably one of the most intelliegent analyses I've read for a while. It that answers, inter alia, the question that I pondered since my arrival in this snake pit aka US of A: - How come that the nation of fat and lazy morons, plagued with monumental inefficiencies and waste, and producing very little tangible goods still wields power and enjoys one of the highest standards of living on earth? The greenbacks for goodies exchange hypothesis explains that fairly well - the world makes it, the Yank takes it -- and feeds it to his fat, stupid, flag waving pigs. Since the greenback is the tool of that extortion - dumping it will certainly undermine US international gangsterism.

I would like to discuss the practical side of it. I understand that the EU accession will expand the Euro sphere, and if the UK finaly adopts the Euro - it would be even more splendid. Russia will probably follow suit as most of her trade is with Europe not the US. But what progressively minded US residents can do to help the Euro? One thought is to switch personal savings and investments to Euro denominated accounts (I would be happy to do that) but I am not quite sure how would that work in practice and what effect it would have, if any. Any thoughts?

Wojtek