[lbo-talk] dollar/euro redux

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Apr 23 11:10:51 PDT 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>How come that the nation of fat and lazy morons, plagued with
>monumental inefficiencies and waste, and producing very little tangible
>goods still wields power and enjoys one of the highest standards of
>living on earth? The greenbacks for goodies exchange hypothesis
>explains that fairly well - the world makes it, the Yank takes it -- and
>feeds it to his fat, stupid, flag waving pigs.

Wojtek, I'm surprised to hear this coming from you, of all people. Not the vituperation, of course, but that you would swallow the myth of America. We're working the longest hours in the industrialized world. Who's lazy? We have less money and time than most Europeans. We have the most draconian anti-labor laws, who's stupid? We're also still fairly productive, although not to German or Japanese levels. And who's enjoying the highest standard of living on earth? Certainly not us, no healthcare or public transportation to speak of, terrible job conditions and hours, constant churning of workers, dysfunctional cities under the control of avaricious landlords and corrupt politicians, and not one functional payphone in the whole damn country.

Jenny Brown