[lbo-talk] Woj & America

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 23 14:40:43 PDT 2003

Doug:
> I feel the same way sometimes, but as I've said to you many times,
> those yahoos aren't the whole story. There are all kinds of humane
> and interesting people in the U.S.

No doubt (that is the main reason that keeps me on this list), but they seem to be such a tiny minority. There was a plenty of humane and interseting people in Weimar Germany too. It seems to me that the whole country goes in a wrong direction and its is not just me - that impression is shared by most people I talk to.

Some time ago The Nation published a cartoon titled "Political descent" showing a devolution from human (FDR) to dinosaour (Reagan) and to jellyfish (Clinton). What we see now is not devolution but a descent to hell.

I wish I could share your optimism - but I simply do not see a light at the end of the tunnel. Or rather the one that I see is that of the oncoming Republican locomotive.

Meanwhile, I promise no more ranting, at least on this list.

Wojtek