[lbo-talk] Cuban HDI

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 23 15:04:55 PDT 2003

>andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
>>Castro's repression is wrong, and I'll say it now or at any time.
>>I'll also say that I'm not sure what other choice Castro has, a
>>point I have pressed on you repeatedly, and you have failed to
>>address.
>
>Brad's not alone in this. Not a single one of the list's social dems
>or anarchists has been able to answer this question.

What should Castro do?

HE SHOULD NOT ARREST AND IMPRISON PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT THE CUBAN REGIME IS IMPERFECT!!!

How about establishing a few principles limiting the power of the Cuban government?

1. Castro shall do nothing to establish a particular religion, or to restrict the free exercise of religion in Cuba. Castro shall do nothing to abridge freedom of speech, or of the press. Castro shall respect the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition him for a redress of grievances.

2. Castro shall not quarter his soldiers in any house without the consent of the owner.

3. Castro shall respect the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects. He shall respect their right not to be searched and seized unreasonably. The state security services shall carry out only such searches and seizures which have been approved by independent judges holding life tenure, who have examined the evidence, and concluded that there does indeed exist probable cause for the search.

4. Castro shall not execute any person unless an independent body of citizens--a Grand Jury, let's call it--has decided that there does exist reason to believe that the person should stand trial for such an infamous crime, and unless a second independent body has decided that the person is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. No one shall be compelled to be a criminal witness against him or herself. No one shall be deprived of life or liberty without due process of law.

5. Castro shall grant all accused of crimes a speedy and public trial by an impartial and independent jury.

6. Castro shall not require excessive bail, and shall not impose cruel and unusual punishments.

Wouldn't that be a *vast* improvement over the current situation?