[lbo-talk] ooops

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Wed Apr 23 19:40:48 PDT 2003

Ian Murray quoted Washington Post Staff Writers:

> As Iraqi Shiite demands for a dominant role in Iraq's future
> mount, Bush administration officials say they underestimated
> the Shiites' organizational strength and are unprepared to
> prevent the rise of an anti-American, Islamic fundamentalist
> government in the country...
>
> ...a State Department official said "I don't think anyone took
> a step backward and asked, 'What are we looking for?'"...

morons

> ...The administration hopes the U.S.-led war in Iraq will lead
> to a crescent of democracies in Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebanon, the
> Israeli-occupied territories and Saudi Arabia.

"A democracy in occupied territories," a concept that jumps up off the page to jab you in the eye, like, say, the phrase "consensual rape."

> ..."This is a 25-year project," one three-star general officer
> said. "Everyone agreed it was a huge risk, and the outcome was
> not at all clear."

Twenty-five years! Not only do I get to worry about my son being drafted but also my grandsons.

I'm not drunk enough.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net