[lbo-talk] Re: Cuban HDI

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 04:52:21 PDT 2003

Brad DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
>>Castro's repression is wrong, and I'll say it now
>>or at any time. I'll also say that I'm not sure
>>what other choice Castro has...
>
>Well, the simple answer is to do good and not evil.
>To build a Cuba in which there is freedom of speech.
>To build a political society in which Cubans can
>debate and discuss and decide on their own destiny,
>rather than to build yet another despotism that
>has already lost its claims to be 'enlightened'.

and

>Be very, very careful: the world is full of people
>who are trying to communicate the truth as they see
>it. If you're not even trying to communicate the
>truth as you see it--if you're shading what you
>communicate in the interests of being politic--you
>go straight to the bottom of lots of people's
>to-be-read piles...

Oh, man.

Brad, as someone who grew up as a cosseted, sheltered, nice white liberal, I must say this display of your cosseted, sheltered, nice white liberal views on this subject makes me cringe with embarrassment. I hate to think of the similarly embarrassing things I must have said before I learned something about history and reality.