[lbo-talk] Cuban HDI

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 06:32:01 PDT 2003

Clinton was big pals with Mas Canosa and the Gusano, I mean right wing exile movement in Miami. That's how he nailed down Florida. He did nothing about the blockade, Radio Marti, etc. So, no, I don't think Clinton's policy was the benign neglect I'd like to see. It was pretty consistent with the previous 30 years of post Bay of Pigs hostility. Although Clinton's (and Bush I's, etc) policies towards almost everyone were better than the Shrub's, I think you're naive to suppose that Clinton would have allowed a fair and free election to proceed in Cuba without Nicaraguanizing it. jks

Brad DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:> >Well, the simple answer is to do good and not evil. To build a Cuba
>>in which there is freedom of speech. To build a political society in
>>which Cubans can debate and discuss and decide on their own destiny,
>>rather than to build yet another despotism that has already lost its
>>claims to be 'enlightened'.
>
>* * *
>
>I approve. And how do you propose to keep the United States off
>their backs while they are building this paradise? As soon as there
>is a 20% chance that the US will leave Cuba alone, I will devote my
>political career to supporting the Cuban people's popular movement
>against Castro's very real tyranny.

What do you think Clinton's attitude toward Cuba was?