[lbo-talk] Hitch returns to 7th gra

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 24 10:37:41 PDT 2003

I've gotten the impression more people buy

Skimming through the footnotes at Borders, saw mention of Peter Singer. <URL: http://www.washingtontimes.com/culture/20030117-91545676.htm >  Anti-virtues view      "Until recently, most Americans would have agreed that the cardinal virtues are obviously good things to apply to our lives.      "The religion of the Left, the Church of Malignant Narcissism, however, requires the application of the antithesis of these values. The cardinal virtues require an effort made beyond ourselves, with consideration of others. They require personal responsibility, a healthy frame of mind (which takes work and, for some of us, psychotherapy), honesty, and an end to blaming others for everything that goes wrong. By their simple existence, they threaten the very mentality that drives today's left-wing establishment.      "The question we all face is what sort of culture we will live in for the rest of our lives and then pass on to the next generation — one that embraces these most basic of lives, or one that thrives because of their absence. [T]his is exactly the point of the cultural war being fought right now, as the Left Elite works to transform our culture into a reflection of its disfigured worldview."      —Tammy Bruce, from her forthcoming book, "The Death of Right and Wrong"

Mona Charen is a nationally syndicated columnist and author of the new book Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got It Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First. This piece <URL: http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-charen021003.asp > is excerpted from Useful Idiots, with permission.