[lbo-talk] pride

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 24 15:36:11 PDT 2003

[1983, really? Has she been around that long?]

"Our country is founded on a sham: our forefathers were slave- owning rich white guys who wanted it their way. So when I see the American flag, I go, 'Oh my God, you're insulting me.' That you can have a gay parade on Christopher Street in New York, with naked men and women on a float cheering, 'We're here, we're queer!' -- that's what makes my heart swell. Not the flag, but a gay naked man or woman burning the flag. I get choked up with pride." -- Janeane Garafalo, 1983, Buzz Magazine