[lbo-talk] Cuban HDI

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 24 19:20:18 PDT 2003

On 25/4/2003 3:59 AM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

>> And what we are discussing is not propping up an old dictator, but the
>> wisdom of tearing him down
>
> What we are talking about here is whether Nathan Newman is a tool of
> George W. Bush for daring to protest that Castro is sending 75 people
> to jail for decades for peaceably assembling and petitioning for a
> redress of grievances.
>
> Brad DeLong

Let's be honest here and read your name where you have placed Nathan's, though I fail to see what you hope to gain by construing this as a personal vendetta. Even so, you are certainly more of a tool of Bush than I am one of Castro, since while you refuse to be drawn on American imperialist designs on Cuba, I have stated explicitly that I agree with Nathan's criticisms of the Cuban regime, and yours up to a point, but do not see the lack of wisdom of pronouncing them now, from a position of American opposition, as trivial or petty instance of political correctness. Far from it - I think that you deliberately construed this debate as an effort to slander critics of US foreign policy as enemies of basic freedoms when they in fact have far more nuanced views, which you undoubtedly know, and legitimate complaints, which you have refused to address. The malignant political correctness is yours, not mine.

Thiago