[lbo-talk] Re: Kerala and Cuba

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Apr 24 23:28:57 PDT 2003

Michael McIntyre

> Ulhas, I know the differences between Kerala and West Bengal very well.
> As Atul Kohli points out, West Bengal has its own kinds of success

I agree that West Bengal has its own kinds of success (Preserving communal harmony, rise in rice production are among the most important achievements, IMO), but we were talking about life expentancy and literacy.

- not
> the same as Kerala's - that are not to be dismissed.

Naturally. Nor can you dismiss the success Punjab and Haryana have had: There own kind of success.

>But this contrast
> between Kerala and West Bengal is precisely why I called Left rule in
> Kerala a NECESSARY but not a SUFFICIENT condition for remarkable >HDI
gains.

So what explains this difference between Kerala and West Bengal in your view? Why CPs have not been able to repeat Kerala performance in West Bengal?

Ulhas