[lbo-talk] another petition

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Fri Apr 25 07:26:44 PDT 2003

I would definitely encourage people to sign this - last night I talked to a journalist who has been in Nigeria writing about her case, and he said the international pressure has made a big difference. The judges, he said, really don't want to decide this thing because they fear fallout at home if they decide in her favor (and reprisals internationally if they decide against her), but he thinks they will end up letting her off once they're all safely re-elected. So, this is one worth circulating since it may actually be working.

he also had a lot of interesting things to say about the appeal of Sharia to ordinary people, in a system where things are pretty corrupt and just don't work very well. also the perspective of muslim scholars in nigeria, which is that cases like this represent a horrifying misinterpretation of Sharia. look for forthcoming article by Trenton Daniel in Legal Affairs magazine.

Liza