[lbo-talk] happy b'day RWE

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:31:35 PDT 2003

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>[Sam Smith's quote of the day]
>
>I could readily see in Emerson . . . the insinuation that had he lived in
>those days when the world was made he might have offered some valuable
>suggestions. - Herman Melville, speaking of Ralph, whose birthday it is.

[Melville was pretty ambivalent about Emerson, to be sure. He once wrote in the margin next to some of RWE's thinking: "God help the poor fellow who squares his life according to this." But as exasperating and suspect (NB, "The Confidence-Man") as he found Emerson, he also saw much to admire. It's worth savoring the full letter Melville's quote above comes from, viz.:]

Nay, I do not oscillate in Emerson's rainbow, but prefer rather to hang myself in mine own halter than swing in any other man's swing. Yet I think Emerson is more than a brilliant fellow. Be his stuff begged, borrowed, or stolen, or of his own domestic manufacture he is an uncommon man. Swear he is a humbug -- then is he no common humbug. Lay it down that had not Sir Thomas Browne lived, Emerson would not have mystified -- I will answer, that had not Old Zack's father begot him, old Zack would never have been the hero of Palo Alto. The truth is that we are all sons, grandsons, or nephews or great-nephews of those who go before us. No one is his own sire. -- I was very agreeably disappointed in Mr Emerson. I had heard of him as full of transcendentalisms, myths & oracular gibberish; I had only glanced at a book of his once in Putnam's store -- that was all I knew of him, till I heard him lecture. -- To my surprise, I found him quite intelligible, tho' to say truth, they told me that that night he was unusually plain. -- Now, there is a something about every man elevated above mediocrity, which is, for the most part, instinctuly perceptible. This I see in Mr Emerson. And, frankly, for the sake of the argument, let us call him a fool; -- then had I rather be a fool than a wise man. -- I love all men who dive. Any fish can swim near the surface, but it takes a great whale to go down stairs five miles or more; & if he don't attain the bottom, why, all the lead in Galena can't fashion the plumet that will. I'm not talking of Mr Emerson now -- but of the whole corps of thought-divers, that have been diving & coming up again with bloodshot eyes since the world began.

I could readily see in Emerson, notwithstanding his merit, a gaping flaw. It was, the insinuation, that had he lived in those days when the world was made, he might have offered some valuable suggestions. These men are all cracked right across the brow. And never will the pullers-down be able to cope with the builders-up. And this pulling down is easy enough -- a keg of powder blew up Block's Monument -- but the man who applied the match, could not, alone, build such a pile to save his soul from the shark-maw of the Devil. But enough of this Plato who talks thro' his nose.

--Letter to Evert Duyckinck, March 3 1849

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail