[lbo-talk] Randolph Bourne: "War & Intellectuals" & "Exploitation"

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Sat Apr 26 03:36:14 PDT 2003

Two excerpts from Randolph Bourne's _The Radical Will_:

"Our quarrel rose over the Mesaba strike, and my acceptance of an IWW pamphlet as a plausible account of what was going on there. The accounts of the insecurity of pay, the petty robberies, the reeking houses, the bigoted opposition to labor organization, seemed to me to smell of truth, because I had read the maddening tales of Colorado and West Virginia, and seen with my own eyes in Scranton and Gary and Pittsburgh the way workers live, not in crises of industrial war but in brimming times of peace.

"My friend, however, is more robust. He would make no such hasty impassioned judgments. He would judge nothing without 'going to the mines, working in them for a year or two, being one of the men, getting their free confidence, then working for a couple years as confidential auditor for the company.' Such Olympian judiciality fills me with envy and dismay.[...]

"My friend, however, does not like [my] Nietzschean terms. He is sure that his workmen have just as much power to exploit him as he has of exploiting them. This is where we differ, and this is why thought will buzz in an angry murky haze over eight-hour bills and individual contracts and collective bargaining as long as millions agree with him. He trusts rights, I trust power. He recognizes only individuals, I recognize classes."

WAR AND INTELLECTUALS

"To those of us who still retain an irreconcilable animus against war, it has been a bitter experience to see the unanimity with which the American intellectuals have thrown their support to the use of war-technique in the crisis in which America found herself. [...]

"They are now complacently asserting that it was they who effectively willed it, against the hesitation and dim perceptions of the American democratic masses. A war made deliberately by the intellectuals! A calm moral verdict, arrived at after a penetrating study of inexorable facts! Sluggish masses, too remote from the world-conflict to be stirred, too lacking in intellect to perceive their danger! An alert intellectual class, saving the people in spite of themselves, biding their time with Fabian strategy until the nation could be moved into war without serious resistance! An intellectual class, gently guiding a nation through sheer force of ideas into what the other nations entered only through predatory craft or popular hysteria or militarist madness! A war free from any taint of self-seeking, a war that will secure the triumph of democracy and internationalize the world!"